Music Bowl to host Carols by Candlelight again in 2015
CAROLS by Candlelight is coming home for Christmas, with Rockhampton Regional Council announcing plans to return the event to the Music Bowl this year.
Mayor Margaret Strelow said she has resounding support for the move after floating the idea on her Facebook page.
"Whilst there's clearly work to be done in the long-term to care for the sound shell into the future, right now we're going to give it a good clean-up which will commence shortly so it can be used by the community again," she said.
"It will be great to take the carols home and I'm looking forward to a great show of community support, and of course our councillors are also very excited by the prospect.
"We will also be actively promoting the venue to ensure that promoters and travelling bands know that the Music Bowl is once again ready to rock."
Rockhampton Regional Council had earlier offered the site for sale, but it is now withdrawn from the market.
The Music Bowl was the site of Carols by Candlelight up until 2011, back when it was run by a community group.
After council took over in 2012, it was moved to the Heritage Village, then Victoria Park in 2013 and the Pilbeam Theatre in 2014.
This year the premier Christmas event will be held on Saturday, December 12.
There has been a big push from the community to move the event back to the Music Bowl.
In 2012 council created a committee specifically to investigate other sites for the carols, after concerns the Music Bowl was structurally unsound.
It first opened in 1985 and hosted several big events, including Rockfest, Electronic Vibes festival and even the band Silverchair.
Carols by Candlelight
This year the event will be held on Saturday, December 12, at the Music Bowl