Man charged with assault, rape
A 47-year-old Yeppoon man has been denied bail after fresh charges of sexual assault were brought against him.
The man, who had been committed for trial in Brisbane on charges of sexual assault, now faces another sexual assault charge and one of rape relating to an alleged incident in Yeppoon on September 1.
He appeared yesterday in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court. His lawyer made a bail application.
Defence lawyer Zoe Craven said her client had co-operated fully with police and had a young family.
His wife was also pregnant with another child and he was suffering from severe depression for which he was seeing a psychologist.
Ms Craven said her client had no criminal history and would comply with any conditions of bail.
He would also defend the charges “strenuously”, she said.
Magistrate Cameron Press said the man had been granted bail on August 3 at the Brisbane Magistrates Court and the offences were allegedly committed while he was on bail.
Mr Press said the man would be a risk to the community if released and remanded him in custody until November.