New jobs on offer amid virus shutdown
With more businesses shutting down nationwide due to the coronavirus pandemic, a few key industries are still looking for workers.
The food industry has been given essential service status, which means farms and factories can continue producing food during government lockdown measures, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths are on a sustained hiring spree to cope with people panic buying and eating more home-cooked meals.
Coles has hired 2000 workers in NSW in the past fortnight, and still plans to hire 1700 more, where 1550 of them will be casual and part-time jobs stacking shelves in supermarkets, Coles Express stores and bottle shops, while the remaining 120 jobs are on offer for butchers, bakers and store managers.
"We are also looking to open additional distribution centres to help us move more stock to stores and will help create even more jobs," Coles CEO Steven Cain said.
Woolworths also needs to hire 5700 workers in NSW within the next month.
One labour hire firm, Food Industry People Group, needs to hire 1500 workers in the next three months and the demand is unlikely to slow.
"This is a call to arms," Food Industry People Group CFO Darren Basford said.
"Right now we need to find 200 workers a week for abattoirs and 100 a week for general food processing.
"And right now we need to put 500 workers into fruit picking jobs on the Sunshine Coast and Darling Downs."
JOBS AVAILABLE IN NSW
* Woolworths will hire almost 5700 people in NSW over the next month
* Coles has about 1700 new jobs on offer
* Telstra is offering 1000 jobs nationally with 130 of those to be placed in NSW in its Bathurst call centre
* Service NSW is hiring 1000 people to help run a hotline offering advice on coronavirus
* Centrelink is looking for 5000 workers to help process unemployment claims
* NSW Health has more than 1000 job listings on its website, ranging from registered and enrolled nurses to hospital support staff in city and country areas
Originally published as New jobs on offer amid virus shutdown