Michelangelo's David at home on Table Top?
WHAT do you think of having Michelangelo's David, Christ the Redeemer or a bronze statue similar to the 5th Light Horse that now adorns Hervey Bay, on the summit of Table Top Mountain?
That's the dream of Toowoomba man David Guscott.
He has put forward the idea to build an international sculpture park on top of the iconic mountain with access via air-conditioned cable cars from Picnic Point.
"It would create an incredible tourist attraction," he said.
He envisages a pathway that people can wander around and a dozen sculptures from various international and local artists.
Mr Guscott wants to know what people in the region think of the idea.
"Let's get a discussion happening," he said.
"I've always felt that there's nothing here for tourists, apart from the view.
"There's nothing for them to do and now that we're getting an international airport it's time to do something.
"It would put Toowoomba on the map as far as international art goes."
Arts Council Toowoomba president Jennifer Wright (Summers) said the proposal was timely given that Toowoomba Regional Council had just passed a public art policy.
"Our organisation is keen to support public art projects of significance to community and that engage the local community," she said.
"It's good that someone has ideas.
"I've seen public sculptures work really well."
She said given the site's importance, the traditional owners of the land would need to be consulted.
- City man dreams of sculpture park on Table Top
- Space cowboy: Teen sends balloon into orbit
- Souths superstar Greg Inglis ready to be Aussies' No.1 guy
- Tributes flow for drowning victim Ben Reddich
- Naked guns: Ipswich police stripped of body armour
- Woman fakes cancer to con public to pay for wedding
- Lynda Bellingham dies after battle with colon cancer
- Union boss says police are not cooks, cleaners and maids
- Police shoot man in head as he 'tries to run them down'
- Man, 45, killed in Bruce Highway crash near Marlborough