Newest QSL arrivals at cross-roads

THE Hyundai QSL could be on the verge of becoming a nine-team competition.

A press release from the recently formed Southern Cross club outlined its immediate withdrawal from the league.

It stated: “Football Queensland and Southern Cross have agreed that it is in the best interests of all stakeholders to withdraw the senior team from the Hyundai Queensland State League 2011 season, to take effect immediately.”

The press release goes on to claim a major reason for the decision is commercial and is due to the Queensland floods earlier in the year which has seen opportunities dry up for sponsorship dollars.

“The withdrawal is disappointing to the team and coaching staff, but having several key sponsors inundated during the recent floods, it is impossible for them to honour their commitments to us, and our hope for them is a speedy recovery in these difficult times,” the Southern Cross committee stated.

When asked on Monday afternoon about the decision of Southern Cross to leave the competition immediately, Football Queensland chief executive Geoff Foster said he knew of the club's difficulties but would meet with Southern Cross shareholders today to further discuss options for their continuance in the Hyundai QSL.

“I will know by Thursday,” he stated.

Cougars chief executive Bevan Dingley said he hoped it could be resolved.

“Obviously, I would be very disappointed as we (Hyundai QSL) are starting to make headways with the competition,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Cougars have this weekend off due to the Easter break before back-to-back games at home.

The Cougars continue their QSL season in a fortnight against Sunshine Coast FC on April 30 at Jardine Park before returning a week later in round eight to meet Bundaberg Spirit.

 




Mount Morgan Dam takes centre stage for new sporting event

premium_icon Mount Morgan Dam takes centre stage for new sporting event

Thousands expected to be pumped into the local economy.

Crews on standby as Ambrose blaze reignites

Crews on standby as Ambrose blaze reignites

QFES reported that there was no threats to property.

Hefty fines for unsafe driver with kids unbuckled

premium_icon Hefty fines for unsafe driver with kids unbuckled

OVERLOADED and unrestrained children has cost one Rockhampton man

Local Partners