Newsome accepts laurels
ZAK Newsome is no stranger to rough roads or championships and has wrapped up this motocross season on good terms.
The Rockhampton and District Motocross Club held their awards for 2009 last weekend at the Indoor Sports Arena with a few locals stepping up to the plate to receive their achievements.
But it was lifetime racer Zak Newsome who stood out from the crowd and claimed both the Lobegeiger Brothers Trophy in the unlimited/open class and the Fairway Cycles Trophy in senior lites.
And in both awards Brendan Swaffield placed second and William Von Allmen was third.
Newsome has proven his strength all year and secretary of the club Rosemarie Hutton said Newsome has been the standout and leading competitor ever since he started as a young boy.
“He is going into national racing next year so he is definitely up there as one of the best in the club,” she said.
“He has been doing it for a lifetime and has always been leading the group.
She said he has shown great strength and skill.
“He has always done the right thing and he also coaches the juniors.”
Travis Barr took home the Wurths Motorcycles Trophy Novice Class in front of Luke Smith in second and Rob Barlett in third.
Ross Spencer won the Spin City Motorcycles Trophy ahead of Adam Bettridge in second and Kevin Smith in third.
Hutton said this year’s season saw a number of new competitors stepping over to motocross, including ladies and a former gymnast.
“Samantha Rosenberg was a former trampoline competitor at a Queensland standard and she has come in slowly and is
consistent,” she said.
Hutton said they hoped more female riders would join the club next season as now the club did not have enough competitors for a female division.Winners
- Fairway Cycles Trophy – Senior Lites: 1st Zak Newsome, 2nd Brendan Swaffield, 3rd William Von Allmen.
- Wurths Motorcycles Trophy – Novice Class: 1st Travis Barr, 2nd Luke Smith, 3rd Rob Bartlett.
- Spin City Motorcycles Trophy – Veterans Class: 1st Ross Spencer, 2nd Adam Bettridge, 3rd Kevin Smith.
- Lobegeiger Brothers Trophy – Unlimited/open Class: 1st Zak Newsome, 2nd Brendan Swaffield, 3rd William Von Allmen.
- Sargent Signs Award 50cc Division two: 1st Athena Messer, 2nd Savvy Warren, 3rd John Kime.