This man is behind bars.
This man is behind bars. ALLAN REINIKKA

No bail for alleged teen rapist

THE teenager accused of raping and bashing a Rockhampton grandma will spend at least the next three months behind bars.

Yesterday the 18-year-old did not apply for bail during his brief appearance in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court.

The three-month adjournment will allow police to receive results of DNA testing from evidence obtained during their investigation.

It’s alleged the man, who cannot be named by law, brutally attacked the 82-year-old in her George Street backyard on Australia Day.

Yesterday the man’s family filled the back of the court room, sobbing as they watched him brought into the dock guarded by police.

Some of the alleged victim’s family were also present.

The man is charged with nine offences from Australia Day, after being arrested on Wednesday afternoon.

Police allege the man first broke into the Leichhardt Hotel, then a Rockhampton home, and trespassed in another house before committing the offences at the woman’s home.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service solicitor Shayne Studdert said the man would plead guilty to the first three offences.

But he has not entered a plea to the offences alleged to have been committed at the woman’s home about 8.30am.

Police allege he bashed her with a blunt instrument, raped her twice, entered her house and stole property.

For this he is charged with attempted murder, grievous bodily harm, two counts of rape, entering a dwelling and stealing.

When the man left the courtroom yesterday morning he yelled, “I love you, my family,” and a supporter yelled back, “We love you too.”

Also in the courtroom yesterday were the woman’s son and grand-daughter, who found the court process tough and confronting.

The grand-daughter later said her grandmother’s condition had worsened last night. She asked the community to keep her grandmother in their prayers.

Doctors had said there was about a 50% survival rate.

The grand-daughter yesterday commented that Australia Day would never be the same for her family again and her grandmother had a tough recovery ahead of her.

“Sleeping has been hard,” she said.

“It’s something you don’t ever want to go through.”

But she said she wanted to thank the community and SES workers for their support and police and police liaison officers for their speedy investigation.

“The whole community has been supportive in their own way,” she said.

But she said some media organisations had stepped beyond the point of respecting their privacy, making this traumatic time even harder.

The woman is expected to undergo facial reconstruction at the end of next week, once swelling to her face lessens.

The accused man will reappear in Rockhampton Magistrates Court on April 28 for a committal mention.

His matters will eventually have to be heard in the Supreme Court.

GALLERY: A prestige home that has something for everyone

premium_icon GALLERY: A prestige home that has something for everyone

HOUSE OF THE WEEK: Look inside this beautiful home on the coast

Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

premium_icon Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

Safety concerns bring to an end a 12 year era of tourism

Great Barrier Reef gateway major shopping centre for sale

premium_icon Great Barrier Reef gateway major shopping centre for sale

Complex is anchored by a Coles Supermarket and sold for $28m in 2016

Local Partners