News

Dr Vega Vega fronts QCAT proceedings about kidney operation

Dr Antonio Vega Vega was stood down last week.
Dr Antonio Vega Vega was stood down last week.

A ROCKHAMPTON doctor accused of botching a surgery has argued he consulted widely before undertaking the complex procedure.

Antonio Vega Vega said he had often referred matters to other specialists or transferred matters to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, where he had visiting rights, if required.

He told the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal that he would do that if he did not believe the Rockhampton hospital had sufficient infrastructure to deal with highly complex cases, or if he needed support.

But the Spanish-trained doctor defended his decision to treat a patient with kidney problems at Rockhampton that has landed him before the tribunal.

"No one raised any concern that this operation was above the competencies of myself or Rockhampton," he said.

"I proceed to do the operation."

Dr Vega Vega is allowed to practise again after the Queensland Medical Board revoked a suspension on Friday, but a supervision condition was imposed.

QCAT, which has reserved its decision until Friday, is reviewing the board's suspension, its refusal to accept Dr Vega Vega's decision to withdraw a self-imposed undertaking not to practise and the imposed condition.

The doctor testified the surgery, usually two to four hours, blew out to seven hours, because of bleeding complications.

He said he, nor any of the colleagues he consulted, had foreseen that the kidneys could have shifted place because of other health difficulties for that patient.

Dr Vega Vega said the kidney he removed was infected.

It had more adhesions than expected, so he had no idea he had removed the wrong kidney.

Other doctors submitted their views to QCAT, with most supporting Dr Vega Vega, but one disagreed.

Barrister Chris Wilson said the medical board believed there should be supervised consultation for a set period.

He noted this kidney surgery was one of five treatment complaints.

"He did make that error," he said.

"Now he wouldn't do it, but he did it in January.

"There's a high degree of probability that other complex procedures will present to Dr Vega Vega.

"In those limited cases, it is appropriate to protect these patients with those conditions he be required to consult with a senior colleague."

Barrister Stephen Keim, acting for Dr Vega Vega, said Rockhampton was a small place and yet many people had thrown their support behind his client.

"He's got a good record in terms of low complications."

Topics:  dr antonio vega vega queensland civil and administrative tribunal rockhampton hospital



Our six art gallery picks for a creative day out

YOU may not associate Brisbane with a burgeoning art scene, but you’d be mistaken.

Six hideaway bars to escape winter chill

The Gresham's charm will win you over before your first sip.

THESE are the perfect places to hang this winter.

Brisbane's arts and culture events centre stage

You loved the film, now you're about to love the musical. Don't miss The Bodyguard The Musical in Brisbane this July.

THE arts and culture events you don't want to miss.

Homewares stores to fulfil your Instagram dreams

No Caption

You too can become an Insta-star with these fab stores.

Date nights under $50

Nothing is more romantic than a picnic with a cracking view.

NOT every date has to cost you a bomb.

Top 10 Brisbane experiences to cross off your bucket list

Do yourself a favour and get amongst the food truck scene. Eat Street is a great place to start.

A GOOD bucket list doesn’t have to span continents or cost millions.

Six mega sporting events you need to be at this year

Don't miss all the action trackside this season.

IF THERE is one thing Brisbane does damn well, it’s play host.

University career put on hold for the greater good

Jack Nicoll is heading to Tanzania to help with charity work.

Rocky to Tanzania for charity mission

Strelow stays positive on Adani talks

Mines Minister Anthony Lynham, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Adani's Jeyakumar Janakaraj. Shadow Mines MInister, Andrew Cripps says the government's support is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Discussions continue as Qld Govt agree to facilitate funding

Breaking: Owner's anger as prized Rocky racehorses left mutilated

The damage from a hit and run incident involving trainer Laurie Clem and his horses.

Rocky racehorses worth big dollars left for dead on roadside

Local Partners

WATCH: Judah battles his emotions as he makes Top 12

Judah Kelly has made it through to the top 12 of Australia's The Voice competition.

Karl Stefanovic's rant about Schapelle Corby 'a bit rich'

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Maybe he just wanted to make himself the story.

Could Schapelle be heading for Gladstone?

Australian Schapelle Corby is escorted by Bali Police at the parole office in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, 27 May 2017.

Schapelle's mother teases her free daughter could be Gladstone bound

Six things you never knew about Men in Black

Mushu the pug

It's been 20 years since Men in Black first hit cinemas

10 strange stories behind famous sex scenes

Khaleesi and Khal Drogo in a steamy moment.

Every set has their own way of filming sex scenes

HBO spills new details on Game of Thrones’ final season

Game of Thrones’ eighth and final season will only have six episodes.

New details about what to expect from the eighth, final instalment.

Karl’s rant on Corby: ‘Made to look like idiots’

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Today co-host launched a tirade against Schapelle Corby media circus

New $46.7m counter-terrorism facility to be built in Wacol

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, pictured with Police Commisioner Ian Stewart, has announced plans to build a new counter-terrorism facility in Wacol.

The facility will be built over three years.

Home to a sex worker: Sordid history of iconic Coast shed

Milojevic Djordjevic's daughter Linda at the derelict shed on Yandina-Coolum Road.

The shed was once a liveable 'barrack'.

This is real estate's billion-dollar man

Bob Wolff at AREC with John McGrath of McGrath Real Estate.

They don’t call him the “Billion dollar man” for nothing

Man's amazing comeback from monster crisis

Pat O'Driscoll agents Penny Keating and Doug Webber sold 56 Agnes St, The Range at auction over the weekend.

NOT long ago, he sold his possessions to pay staff. Now he's back.

Deluge brings massive price rise for property near Rocky

BIG BUY: The Howard family handed over Yaamba's historic Balmoral property to the Harvey family on Thursday.

DOWNPOUR'S perfect timing entices buyer to pay huge dollars.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!