From now until November, it is bushfire season in the region
THE Rockhampton Regional Council is urging resident to ensure they are bushfire ready.
The Bushfire Season across the region is from July until November, so now is the time to prepare your home and help ensure you've done everything you can to help our local fire fighters.
Rockhampton Region Deputy Mayor and Local Disaster Management Group chair councillor Tony Williams knows preparing your home now is vital for residents' safety and the safety of our brave fire-fighters.
"Queensland Fire and Rescue and the Rural Fire Brigades do a great job in protecting our homes, properties and loved ones when a fire is near, so now is the time to do our part to ensure we're doing all we can to protect the lives of our local fire-fighters," Cr Williams said.
"Fire-fighters put their lives at risk every time they battle a bushfire and as we've seen with the recent and unthinkable tragedy in the US with the loss of 19 dedicated fire-fighters, it's vital that we all do our part to help our fire-fighters, and importantly help ourselves.
"As a property owner, or a resident within the Rockhampton Region all of us must take the necessary steps to prepare our home and household for the likelihood of a fire.
"These preparations are ones that are useful for any disaster, and only take a day or two every now and then."
By doing the simple things listed below it can make a tremendous difference:
- Prepare you household plan which includes an evacuation plan and get in place your emergency, evacuation and first aid kits
- Create a "fuel free" zone around your property by grading / burning a fire break, and keeping the fuel levels (grass, leaf litter) to a minimum
- Clean out debris from around the home and clean out gutters
- Reduce fuel by proper landscaping with appropriate plants
- Install taps and long hoses outside at strategic locations
- Do not dump green waste over your back fence if it leads on to National Park or local park areas and make sure that you dispose of all green waste at the appropriate locations.
Residents are encouraged view Council's Be Prepared - Disasters Happen DVD and Emergency Action Guide for more in-depth information. For a copy contact Council on 1300 33 55 77 or visit www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au and click on our Region or visit www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au