Prepare for potential flooding
WITH the Fitzroy River still expected to reach 7.7 metres on Thursday night, Mayor Brad Carter and the Local Disaster Management Group have urged residents to prepare for a flood similar to that of 2008.
While there is no way to accurately predict specific streets that will be affected, Cr Carter said aerial photographs showing water inundation from the 2008 flood would be available to the public at shopping centres, Council Customer Service Centres and on the council's website.
At this level the Bruce Hwy, Capricorn Hwy and Rockhampton Airport are expected to remain open.
Ergon Energy's corporate communications manager, Bob Pleash, said 109 residential and 10 rural properties were expected to be disconnected.
Ergon crews installed 30 isolation points in low-lying areas like parts of Depot Hill, Kawana, Park Avenue and South Yaamba in preparation.
"Last year we had to turn off a feeder when it became too unsafe to deal with houses on a case-by-case basis," he said.
"This meant some houses which hadn't experienced flooding had their power cut.
"We want to try and avoid that as much as possible by isolating affected houses."
Ergon crews will visit the residential properties tomorrow. "We will also be conducting daily chopper patrols of the power lines," he said.