Alan Jones - shut up, butt out, you're not welcome
TOOWOOMBA residents have told shock-jock Alan Jones to "shut up" and stop his rant against Wagners' Wellcamp Airport.
The 2GB, Sydney-based radio announcer has been an outspoken critic of Wagners' construction of the Wellcamp Airport and council process which led to its approval.
A Chronicle letter writer this week suggested Jones had "overdosed on angry pills" and was wearing "shock jocks" that were too tight and "affecting his brain".
Yesterday, Chronicle readers threw their support behind Wagners and the Wellcamp Airport.
In an online poll, 92% of respondents agreed the airport was good for Toowoomba.
- Reports: Clive Palmer loses $1 billion in a year
- Kids Eat Free (maybe): Meal trap angers family
- Technology helps drivers avoid fixed speed camera fines
- "Life savings" found at charity store
- Police charge teenager over rape of elderly woman
"Who's to rubbish what the Wagners are doing?" Montgomery Diane asked.
"(The airport) is a business venture for them, but good on them, it will benefit our city."
Is the Wellcamp Airport good for Toowoomba?
This poll ended on 26 July 2014.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
Online commentators rallied against Jones, calling for him to be "taken off the radio" for his "short-sighted" opinions on the airport.
"He should just shut up and mind his own business," Suz Jones said. "What should he care - he doesn't even live here."
Many argued Jones was out of touch with what Toowoomba wanted or needed, calling for him to stay out of the city's issues.
"We need to put a sign at the top of the range (that says) 'Alan Jones, you're not welcome'."
However, there was support for Jones and his comments on the airport, with some suggesting the process used to get the airport approved was questionable.
"Like him or loathe him, it is people like Jones who think outside the square and make people aware of corruption within government that is otherwise kept very well hidden," Peter Terrill said.
- Alan Jones needs to stay out of what he doesn't understand. - Michele Fowler
- I believe it's good for Toowoomba, however being a resident of Westbrook, we were never consulted on anything, including flight plans. This affects us as much as it affects the surrounding areas. Whoever changed the laws that they did not have to consult the surrounding areas needs to be fired from council. - Trish Bellette
- Wouldn't matter if there was another war started overseas, it would be Wagners' fault. - Wendy Wieck
- Does anyone take Allan Jones seriously? - Mereleen Hooke
- What flew up his nose. Why would he care if he doesn't live here. - Paula Knight