Menu
News

Queensland’s new chance to make Gallipoli centenary

QUEENSLANDERS have a second chance to be involved in next year's commemorations of the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings in Gallipoli.

More than 280 people across Australia declined the opportunity to attend the event after securing tickets earlier this year in the national ballot.

Runners-up in the original ballot will be placed in a second draw made up of the returned tickets.

Veterans Affairs Minister Michael Ronaldson told the ABC there could be a possibility for more Queenslanders to put their name forward after tickets were drawn in the second round.

"There has been about 7% of people who have declined the tickets, which is about 280 people," he said.

"We believe they have done that for a variety of reasons including the cost of getting to Gallipoli and the travel involved.

"Also, we have been quite strong in telling people that this is not a walk in the park. It is quite physical and you have to be in good health to do the amount of walking that is required."

Topics:  anzac day gallipoli centenary michael ronaldson



Rocky gets front row seats as Comm Games Relay hits city

Retired cyclist Anna Mears from Australia, right, carries the Commonwealth Games relay baton that she received from  Britain's Queen Elizabeth II,  centre left,  at the launch of the relay at Buckingham Palace in London Monday March 13, 2017.  The XXI Commonwealth Games are  being held on the Gold Coast in Australia in 2018. (John Stillwell/Pool via AP)

WHERE to see the Queens Baton Relay for yourself next month

GALLERY: Rocky night life hits town in lively weekend

L-R Kayla Hellmuth and Katrina Champan at the Ginger Mule.

CHECK to see if you were snapped at the city's pubs

CQ indigenous health service strives to 'close the gap'

CEO of Bidgerdii Community Health Service Thelap Ahmat.

Program works to bring families together

Local Partners