Removalist ‘demanded cash to return belongings’
AN allegedly dodgy removalist has been accused of collecting the contents of customers' homes before refusing to give it back unless they paid him more money.
And a court today heard that more alleged victims could still come forward.
Dione Trevor Blissett, 40, was refused bail at Penrith Local Court today over claims he fraudulently collected at least $45,000 worth of furniture and goods from three addresses in Panania, Dee Why and Glenmore Park - but did not deliver them as agreed in the contract.
The contents of each home was worth more than $15,000.
Police will allege Blissett would quote for work to remove the furniture and personal goods. But after winning the job, he would then demand additional funds before releasing the items back.
He was arrested in his car on Wednesday following "several" complaints and charged with three counts of larceny as a bailee.
Police also seized a "large amount" of cash and have his storage facility in lockdown, the court heard.
Legal Aid lawyer Stephanie Fowler told the court Blissett had his business for 2½ years and had been involved in "several hundred removal jobs" with written contracts.
Company records list him as the director of Rise Transport and Logistics, based in Schofields.
Ms Fowler said her client "strongly denied" the three charges against him.
Prosecutor Craig McAlester said police were investigating the possibility of more victims.
"Even though at this stage there are three clearly identified victims there may be more," he said.
He said Blissett had a history of offences "very similar in nature to the charges before the court" and had breached bail in 2013, so there was a risk he would fail to appear.
Magistrate Stephen Corry denied Blissett bail saying he had a "recent" history for fraud and there was an "unacceptable risk" to the community.
"The offences are serious and part of the offending involves effectively attempting to extract more money from some of the people he was dealing with," he said.
He said if convicted of the charges it was "inevitable" Blissett would receive a custodial sentence because of his record.
While Magistrate Corry was speaking, a visibly upset Blissett, who appeared via video link, interjected saying: "I don't have any previous convictions for fraud."
"I'm using fraud in the generic sense under that section of the crimes act," Magistrate Corry replied.
Blissett said that was for "security guard" matters.
In 2005, Blissett, then the director of Web Protections Australia, had his security licence revoked due to his criminal and traffic history, including property damage and assault.
He was also involved in another company that provided bouncers to Kings Cross strip clubs and other venues.
Blissett will next front court on April 12.