Rep program shakes up Brahmans
IF Brahmans players were thinking the football season was a long way off then the release of the representative program should give them a bit of a jolt.
Certainly coach Jack Lloyd Jr knows there is plenty of work to do and very little time in which to do it.
With players likely to get a short break over the festive season, it will be back to work in a big hurry as the Brahmans’ first trial game is just 23 days into the new year and three weeks after that it is straight into the Queensland Country competition.
Lloyd looks at the program as challenging rather than daunting, but admits the “double-header” set down for the weekend of February 19/20 will test his squad’s depth and fitness.
“It will be fairly tough,” he admitted.
“It (the program) is close to what we expected except for the double-header in Townsville.”
Over that weekend they face both Townsville and Cairns, the two teams targeted if the Brahmans are to be the best of the North Queensland teams in the competition.
“At least we will be fresh on the Friday (against Townsville),” he said.
“We are lucky as the under-19s will also be going along.”
Lloyd is pleased with the progress being made by the Brahmans.
The coach is also happy with the trial matches, with the first set for Blackwater on January 23.
The success of last year’s trial against a President XV has encouraged organisers to make it an annual match.BRAHMAN’S PROGRAM
- First Trial – January 23 vs Central Highlands at Blackwater
- Second Trial – January 30 To Be Confirmed Rugby Park
- Third Trial – February 6 vs Presidents XV at Rugby Park (Charity Match)
- First Round – February 13 against Darling Downs at Rugby Park
- Second Round – Friday February 19 vs Townsville
- Third Round - Saturday the February 20 vs Cairns both in Townsville (Double Header)
- Two Weeks Off
- Fourth Round – March 13 vs Gold coast at Gold coast
- Fifth Round– March 20 vs Sunshine Coast at Rugby Park