Residents struggling to deal with aftermath of siege fire
THE embers and the ashes may have settled on last week's siege and ensuing wildfire at Struck Oil, but for the locals the aftermath continues.
Kyllie Moyle's children are the fifth generation living in the home that narrowly escaped being ravaged by fire last Wednesday.
"It's been very hard, we've been going through a lot of emotions," Kyllie said yesterday.
Tears are close to the surface and the situation is still very real for the people of Struck Oil.
Kyllie sleeps with her clothes on and still feels insecure.
"It was pretty scary; it felt so surreal - like it wasn't happening," she said.
"One minute there was a gunman running around, but there was police protection and we were safe, so it was okay. We could kind of deal with that.
"But when the fire came I just lost it. I was so scared the house was going to burn down.
"We think someone was looking after us, if you see how close the fire came."
As it was, Kyllie and her husband, the local fire warden had 20ha, including the fences, of their property burned. They lost their roof guttering, tank, toilet and septic and a calf.
"To walk away from my home and leave everything behind was really hard.
"Now I have to get my head straight to do the paperwork for insurance."