Retailers reject new shopping precinct proposal
SOME residents and business owners won't have a bar of a proposal for a new shopping precinct on the Capricorn Coast.
Before Livingstone Shire Council today is a proposal to develop a section of land, on the corner of Percy Ford St and the Scenic Hwy, where the Poinciana Caravan Park is located, into a nine-shop precinct.
The proposed development is for shops, offices and takeaway food stores, plus parking.
This did not fly well with several business owners, including some at the Cedar Park Shopping Centre, Taranganba, shopping precinct.
They believed that any developments near their businesses would result in economic losses.
An Urban Economics review, conducted on behalf of a group opposing the development application, found adverse impact would happen at other shopping centres.
The review revealed there was a 15% vacancy rate at Cedar Park Shopping Centre, 14% at Keppel Bay Plaza and 8% at the Yeppoon Town Centre.
Other business operators stated in their submissions that the application for development, by architect Paul Bishop on behalf of Poinciana Ventures Pty Ltd, was not supported by data to demonstrate there was an economic need for the development.
On the contrary, an economic needs assessment conducted on behalf of the developer revealed the development would bring in $4.1 million in turnover in the first full year of trading and that the impact on other centres would be minimal.
It said the area was growing and could accommodate another complex.
Deputy Mayor Graham Scott yesterday said the most important thing about the process was that residents, business owners and councillors got the opportunity to have their say.
The council will today consider a recommendation to approve the proposal.
Cr Scott said if any approvals were made today, members of the public had the right to appeal that decision, and any approvals today did not mean that nine shops would be "built tomorrow".
There were still other processes that the builder and architect had to go through before any groundwork got underway.
The proposal was the subject of public notification between December 17 of last year and January 23. Twenty-seven submissions were received. Of them, 22 were considered to be properly made.
Cr Scott said senior town planners were highly supportive of the proposal.