Riverbank reconstruction work to start on Tuesday
ROCKHAMPTON Regional Council says the Riverbank redevelopment work will commence on Tuesday.
Reconstruction works will commence in Quay St and Victoria Parade next week, as part of the first phase of the overhaul.
This stage of construction will remove the existing footpaths and roadways, upgrade conduits and pits for Smart City and street lighting, lay pavers for a full pavement and conduct work on drainage.
Work is expected to be completed by August next year, and traffic will be reduced to one lane during this period, with a flow direction from Archer to Cambridge.
RRC Mayor Margaret Strelow said the works are the start of big things to come.
"Over the upcoming months, we will be able to see these areas take shape and get an idea of just how terrific the redevelopment will be in both its earlier stages and its entirety," she said.
Cr Strelow also advised that there will be changes to traffic flows during this time but that every effort is being made to ensure that businesses can operate as normally as possible.
"We have been speaking with business owners and residents who will be directly affected by these works and have tried to limit disruption as much as possible given the significant works to be done," she said.
"I'd like to say a very big thank you to all for their support toward this project and, in advance, convey Council's appreciation for their patience."
- Works will commence next Tuesday, 20 October, 2015
- Stage 1A is expected to be completed by August, 2016
- The section of Quay St between Fitzroy Bridge and Denham Street will be closed
- Quay Lane will reverse direction for businesses and commercial traffic (this will be a South to North direction with an exist for commercial vehicles onto Fitzroy Street)
- Detours will be signed during construction
- Pedestrian access to all Quay Street businesses will be available
- Please follow directions and keep to the proposed speed limit.
Reconstruction works will include:
- New kerb and channelling
- Upgrade of conduits and pits
- Drainage works
- Resurfacing of existing roadway
- Installation of full width footpath along the building side of Victoria Parade
The project's staging plans can be viewed at Council's website: www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au