Rocky urged to join Kony battle
IF YOU haven't heard the name Kony recently, you would have to be living under a rock.
Rockhampton's Anja Zemlicoff certainly isn't.
The 20-year-old has jumped into action after viewing a video posted on Facebook and YouTube titled "Kony 2012".
The video went viral this week, with more than 30 million hits.
It outlines co-founder of the Invisible Children charity Jason Russell's plan to put an end to the abduction of children by warlord Joseph Kony in war-torn Central Africa.
To do this he wants to make Kony notorious via the power of social media.
"I've always wanted to do something and after I saw this I thought just go for it," said Anja.
Anja started an event on Facebook to encourage Rockhampton locals to join the cause and plaster the town in posters in a global "Cover the Night" project on April 20.
More than 300 people will be attending.
"The Heritage Hotel has offered to be our headquarters for the night so we will be meeting there," she said.
The project has copped a lot of skepticism, but Anja stood by the cause.
"Joseph Kony is a real man and these are real issues and we need to get his name out there."
Professor Mark Looi, Dean for the School of Information and Communication Technology at CQUniversity, said the project could change the history of social media.
"It's one of the first attempts ... to appeal to all of humanity.
"If successful it could well see a change in the way we view democracy," he said.
But Mr Looi said interest was already waning.
"Either this will be short-lived or we will see a lot more of it in the future."
Leader of the Lord's Resistance Army in Central Africa.
Has abducted more than 66,000 children, forcing them to fight in his army or become sex slaves
In 2005 he was indicted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court but has so far evaded capture
To be a part of the Rockhampton "Kony 2012" group join the event on Facebook.