Robbery goes up in smoke
A WOULD-be armed robber's attempt to steal a packet of cigarettes from a Rockhampton newsagency went up in smoke yesterday.
The offender fled when a female worker refused to hand over the cigarettes even though the attacker allegedly pulled out a knife with a 30cm blade.
A woman, 18, has been charged with one count each of attempted armed robbery and stealing in relation to the attack at the Arcade Newsagency, in the arcade off East St, about 10.55am.
The accused has been granted bail and will appear in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court at a later date.
Rockhampton police CIB officer-in-charge Detective Senior Sergeant Max Bennett said the accused was picked up soon after the attempted robbery at a George St address.
Det Snr Sgt Bennett said the stealing charge related to a bottle of water police say was taken from the newsagency.
The incident is the latest hold-up, or attempted hold-up, in Rockhampton this year.
Police are urging business owners and workers to be alert for anyone acting suspiciously in and around their premises.
Anyone with information about the hold-up of a Caltex service station on Yaamba Rd, North Rockhampton, on Sunday, February 12, should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
ROCKY'S 2012 HOLD-UPS
- Yesterday: A woman attempts to hold-up a CBD newsagency just before 11am;
- February 12: A knifeman robbed the Caltex service station truckstop at 10pm;
- February 8: Man armed with a machete robbed Kalka Palms Hotel Motel just before 10pm;
- February 2: Two men armed with a knife and a crowbar robbed Raffles Hotel at 10.50pm;
- January 2: Masked knifeman holds up North Rockhampton Bowls Club at 6pm;
- January 1: Masked knifeman robbed Raffles Hotel.