UPDATE: Rockhampton's NBN future, how it affects you

UPDATE: CONSTRUCTION works for the NBN rollout are currently underway at 13 sites in the Rockhampton Regional Council area.

An NBN spokesperson confirmed work was underway in the following areas: 

  • Parts of Depot Hill
  • Rockhampton Airport
  • West Rockhampton
  • Allenstown
  • Port Curtis
  • Wandal
  • Berserker
  • Frenchville
  • Lakes Creek
  • CQUniversity
  • Glenlee, Rockyview
  • Norman Gardens
  • Parkhurst.

Work has also been released for Gracemere, Langley and Kawana.

This totals 41,710 premises.

Additionally, a large area around Rockhampton is serviced or planned to be serviced by fixed wireless.

Those who are not receiving fixed wireless services have access to satellite right now.

 

Workers install NBN box on Agnes St, Rockhampton as NBN works began in Rockhampton late 2015.
Workers install NBN box on Agnes St, Rockhampton as NBN works began in Rockhampton late 2015. Allan Reinikka

EARLIER: ROCKHAMPTON'S NBN fate appears to be sealed - no matter who wins the election.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten this week announced a Labor government roll out of fibre-to-the-premises broadband to up to two million additional Australian homes, but it seems Rockhampton residents will find themselves on the outskirts of the bold election promise.

Capricornia Labor candidate Leisa Neaton yesterday said the NBN news was bleak for the region, with much of the city locked into the existing fibre-to-the-node.

"In reality we (Rockhampton) will be stuck with the Landry Lite NBN legacy for the foreseeable future," Ms Neaton said.

"It's almost impossible and certainly financially irresponsible to rip up the taxpayer-funded fibre-to-the-node or rip up expensive construction contracts midstream."

But she said it was not all bad news.

"There will be certain winners like Emu Park where the contracts have not been let and they will benefit from our original policy of fibre-to-the-premise," Ms Neaton said.

Incumbent Capricornia MP Michelle Landry yesterday morning hit back at the Labor candidate's claim that the LNP have "doubled the cost of their second-rate NBN up to $56 billion" - Labor proposing a $57 billion cap themselves.

Ms Landry claimed the majority of Capricornia residents were happy to take up cheaper plans with lower megabites and only the "very, very small minority of people" needed the "best and the greatest in NBN".

"So our Labor candidate who's an ex-school teacher, let's say her students that are in Year 6 now, they would be finished high school before the Labor's NBN would be rolling out in this area," Ms Landry said.

Attorney General George Brandis weighed in on the back-and-forth, branding the inherited Labor plan "a complete mess".

He said Malcolm Turnbull, in his pre-Prime Ministerial role as Communications Minister "rescued the plan".

"To give you the context, last month there were more connections across Australia in the NBN during the entire term of the Labor government," Mr Brandis said.

He claimed under a re-elected Coalition government, people would get the service sooner and at a lesser cost than under the Labor plan.

The Bulletin asked for specific details about CQ areas that had received the NBN (regarding different connection standards) but this was not provided.  



Judge lecture to arsonists: art takes time, effort and heart

premium_icon Judge lecture to arsonists: art takes time, effort and heart

Judge lecture after $148k damage caused by arson attack

Extra members needed to help ensure Mt Morgan hall's future

premium_icon Extra members needed to help ensure Mt Morgan hall's future

A meeting will be held at 10am Sunday to discuss the uncertain fate

Mine boss: Adani jobs could flow in weeks

premium_icon Mine boss: Adani jobs could flow in weeks

Adani construction Carmichael coal mine could be underway within weeks