BUZZED OUT: An elderly woman had a shock when the charger for her phone blew up in the wall socket. Photo Tom Gillespie / The Western Star
BUZZED OUT: An elderly woman had a shock when the charger for her phone blew up in the wall socket. Photo Tom Gillespie / The Western Star Tom Gillespie

Woman shocked after phone charger explodes

AN ELDERLY Roma woman has escaped injury after her phone charger exploded just five seconds after being plugged into the wall.

The woman bought the charger along with her ZTE phone 18 months ago from a local store.

The charger exploded out of the wall just a few seconds after being plugged in, leaving the pins stuck in the socket while the other parts flew across the room.

Her son, who wanted to remain anonymous, said it was a reminder for people to not talk on the phone while they were charging.

The incident comes just two weeks after a NSW woman was killed after her cheap USB charger electrocuted her.

Have you experienced a faulty charger or electrical appliance? If so, email tom.gillespie@westernstarnews.com.



Rocky company highlighted for Indigenous Business Month

Premium Content Rocky company highlighted for Indigenous Business Month

The business employs a workforce of 85 per cent Aboriginal and Torres Strait...

Project to install marine awareness signs on GKI boardwalks

Premium Content Project to install marine awareness signs on GKI boardwalks

The signs would have information how to protect marine life, safe snorkelling and...

More records smashed at cattle sales at CQLX

Premium Content More records smashed at cattle sales at CQLX

Heifers reach 476.2c/kg and cow price lifts to 354.2c/kg