State bans hat cords in school after shocking strangulations
A STRING of shocking schoolyard strangulations in South Australia has resulted in a ban of long cords and straps on hats and hoodies.
The issue, first reported by The Advertiser, came to light following after Marley Oster, 6 was saved by an older student when her long hat cord became caught in a groove in a piece of school play equipment.
Madison Fleming, 8, rescued Marley from halfway down the spiral slide in the grounds of the school as the safety clasp on Marley's hat failed to release.
Doctors have told Gail Oster, Marley's mum, that the incident would have been fatal if Madison had not carefully made her way down the slide to get the hat cord off Marley's neck.
"It resulted in a really bad neck injury. The doctor told me another 45 seconds and her windpipe would have collapsed," said Mrs Oster, of McLaren Flat told The Advertiser.
Should other states follow suit and ban hat cords in schools?
This poll ended on 11 May 2017.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
The Advertiser also reported; "a second case has emerged of a student, 8, at East Adelaide School in St Peters, who was "choked" by her hat cord and left hanging from a rope bridge until she was rescued by a teacher last week."
Gail Oster, who bought her daughter's hat from the local school uniform shop, called for that hats to be banned.
"It's a freak accident but it could have been a death.
"They have a potential death hazard they are selling to parents. The schools have to ban those hats."
Just a day later, the South Australian education department took action and demanded all public schools remove cords from students' hats and hoodies.
"Schools have been ordered to:
"INSPECT students' hats and remove any cords.
"CHECK hat stocks in their uniform shops and immediately remove any cords, including draw strings on hooded tops.
"ENSURE play equipment, particularly slides and fireman's poles, are free from "pinch points, sharp edges or protrusions" that may catch on cords, drawstrings and toggles.
"ENSURE children use play equipment appropriate for their age and are properly supervised."
This article originally appeared on Kidspot and has been reproduced here with permission.
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS? SHOULD HAT CORDS BE BANNED IN ALL AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS?
JOIN OUR DAILY WATERCOOLER BY LEAVING A COMMENT BELOW.