Sam and Wesley
Sam and Wesley Supplied

Saying goodbye to baby Wesley

A BUNDABERG couple has had to endure the heart-wrenching pain of laying their eight-month-old boy to rest after he lost his brave battle with a rare condition.

Sam and Steve Hitchcock said goodbye to baby Wesley on Monday after congenital nephrotic syndrome claimed his life.

Wesley’s was a short life, but one filled with an abundance of love – Sam stayed with her little man 24 hours a day, sleeping beside his bed in the Royal Children’s Hospital.

It was a tough eight months for the mother-of-three, watching her baby battle a disease that caused kidney failure, blood clots, severe infections and swelling, and required him to have regular blood transfusions.

But she said it was Wesley’s smile that got her through.

“He was always so happy,” Mrs Hitchcock said.

“He was always smiling. I would rub his belly and he giggled all the time.”

Baby Wesley only had five days at home with his parents and two big sisters, but it is a time none of them will forget.

“We took him to a birthday party and played in the park and got family photos,” Mrs Hitchcock said.

Mrs Hitchcock said it would be hard to pick up the pieces of her life.

“I don’t know what I’ll do now,” she said.

“I feel like I don’t have a purpose anymore.”

Mrs Hitchcock’s mother, Rhonda Sutton, said her daughter was an inspiration.

“She’s the strongest person I know,” Ms Sutton said.

The proud grandmother said her grandson was a big fan of his older sisters.

“Even when he couldn’t hear, he knew when they were around,” she said.

“He just had a sense for them and his smile got even bigger.”

Family and friends gathered to remember the bright little boy at a service on Monday.

“It was really nice,” Mrs Hitchcock said.

“My friend Kym did an amazing slideshow of pictures of Wesley’s life.”

Friends of the Hitchcocks had earlier rallied around the family in a desperate attempt to help Wesley, and in March called on people through the NewsMail to donate blood.

The Hitchcock family would like to thank the following for their support during the past eight months: the Royal Children’s Hospital, Bundaberg Hospital, Chris Ryan, Working Wonders, The Royal Flying Doctor Service, Des Allen Funerals, and friends and family.

Man flown to hospital after motorbike accident

Premium Content Man flown to hospital after motorbike accident

He struck a tree stump causing him to fall forward off his motorbike.

OPINION: Perfect storm looming for state’s most vulnerable

Premium Content OPINION: Perfect storm looming for state’s most vulnerable

Harry Bruce’s cartoon of the day and readers have their say on current events.

‘He is incredible’: Inspiring journey back from injury

Premium Content ‘He is incredible’: Inspiring journey back from injury

Steven Ball spent three months in hospital and two more in rehab.