Seatbelt blitz next on agenda in State Govt road campaign
THE next step in the State Government's road safety public education campaign and enforcement blitz will focus on seatbelts.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson and Police Minister Jack Dempsey said the blitz and advertising, starting as many of the state's motorists face several days of wet driving conditions, would highlight the importance of seatbelts in saving lives.
"The seatbelt is the single most effective feature in a vehicle to reduce the severity of injuries to people in a crash," Mr Emerson said.
"More than one-in-five people who died on Queensland roads last year was not wearing a seatbelt.
"It should be second nature, but the message is simply not getting through to some people.
"I was concerned to read recent media reports on studies which show the number of people who admit to speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, texting or drink-driving."
Mr Dempsey said the Queensland Police Service would start an enforcement blitz from today, targeting drivers and passengers not wearing their seatbelts.
The blitz will accompany a public education campaign featuring graphic images demonstrating what can happen to a human body in a crash when not wearing a seatbelt.
The television commercials, which will run from February 27, are accompanied by radio advertising as well as outdoor billboards across Queensland.
"If you are involved in a crash, the simple fact is that without a seatbelt to hold your body back, your internal organs continue travelling forwards with greater force and can do more damage," Mr Dempsey said.
"In the past five years, an average of 33 people have died each year when not wearing their seatbelt, and this is simply too many deaths that may well have been avoided by one simple action - buckling up."