'Sentimental' gun destroyed after man misses amnesty
A COURT has ordered a man's last sentimental token from his late father - a double barrel shotgun - be destroyed after he missed the gun amnesty cut off.
When police searched Colin Thomas Hart's home he told them two guns had been disposed of, but officers found the shotgun in his office, a court heard.
Hart had pulled apart another gun and spread it across several commercial bins.
On Thursday, he pleaded guilty in Maroochydore Magistrates Court to possession of a category A weapon.
In a statement to the court Hart said he grew up on a farm in Junee where guns were common and while he was aware of the amnesty, he missed the cut off period as he was caring for his sick daughter in Brisbane.
Magistrate Ron Madsen gave Hart a $400, six-month good behaviour bond and ordered the gun be forfeited for destruction.