UPDATE: Rain brings cool change after heat wave
6pm, Friday: AN EXTREME weather warning has been issued for the Capricornia region over the next few hours.
Severe thunderstorms are expected to batter the region with heavy rain and damaging winds that could even lead to flash flooding.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advise people to stay safe at all times.
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
In a relief for Rockhampton and surrounding areas, the storms are expected to miss the area but showers would hit hard.
A Bureau of Meteorology spokesperson said Gladstone would cop it the worst.
"There is a fairly good cell developing near Calliope, and a few more cells coming into the west of Rockhampton," the spokesperson said.
"At the moment Rockhampton is not expected to cop it as bad as Gladstone, it is going south. It is tracking just south of Bouldercombe.
"There will definitely be heavy showers overnight and possible for the weekend."