Sibelco cuts 57 Rocky jobs
ANOTHER mass job-slashing drive in the Central Queensland manufacturing industry is a sign of the "very grim" times, according to unions.
Sibelco sites as Parkhurst and Kunwarara cut 57 employees across their Rockhampton operations on Thursday, giving workers a few hours notice before their roles closed.
The cut follows 38 jobs on the chopping block at Aurizon on Monday and reports of further operations reviews at Hasting's Emerald site earlier this week.
"It is very grim, there is nowhere for these people to go," Australian Manufacturing Workers Union state organiser Peter Lyon said.
Mr Lyon said the Government would have to take control of the situation if the Central Queensland manufacturing industry was to boom following a series of redundancy announcements.
"If the government made it mandatory for things to be produced in Australia to have tenders for the defence force and government buildings for example, the industry would improve," he said.
"There needs to be mandatory quota to use Australian steel and products in commercial and private buildings."
Mr Lyon said the latest range of job cuts at Sibelco did not include any voluntary redundancy opportunities.
"They were gone instantly, they got the phone call in the morning," he said.
Sibelco Magnesia executive general manager Peter Collins said the cuts followed a major restructure announcement made in September.
"We acknowledge that this was a difficult day for those impacted by the organisational change and ongoing support will be provided to these individuals," Mr Collins said.
"Operationally there have been changes at both the Kunwarara mine and Parkhurst processing facility; including changes to production targets, rosters and plant utilisation to support the restructure."
A HASTINGS Emerald spokesperson said operations were under review at the Central Queensland site.
"We have reviewed the operations at Emerald and we have made some operational changes," the spokesperson said.
"We are in discussion with employees."