Sinker hooks award
ROCKAMPTON'S Rob Lange hopes to turn lead into gold.
Rob has invented a snap-on sinker that's risen to the top after it was last week recognised at the Australian Fishing Tackle Association Awards.
The invention, so simple it's amazing no one has done it before, has been three years in the making.
The avid angler explained that like many other frustrated fishermen he wanted something which would enable more time to catch fish and less time changing tackle.
The invention enables fishermen to effortlessly add and remove sinkers without the need to cut or re-tie the fishing line.
Rob's sinkers are currently available at about 40 selected stockists in the State's south-east corner and northern NSW.
He hopes to sell them in Rockhampton and north Queensland in the near future.
“I was a frustrated fisherman; if my line was not in the water all the time, I wasn't happy,” Rob said.
He said it was a long process to turn his plan into reality.
Rob teamed up with industrial designer Scot Farley of F3 Industrial Design and together they worked on the project.
“It takes a lot of time finding the right quality material and then the testing,” Rob said.
“Scot loved the idea right from the start and we formed a partnership.
“We've developed the sinker to what it is now.”
He said he was left beaming after capturing the award in the Australian Fishing Association's terminal tackle category on the Gold Coast.
“We were on a high,” Rob said.
“It was unbelievable.”
The sinkers cost between $5 and $6 for a packet of four depending on size.
For more information check out www.kliksinkers.com
- Quickly and easily add or remove sinkers without cutting your line or tying and knotting
- Allows anglers to quickly change between tackle systems (eg bait to lure)
- Enables anglers to easily remove the sinkers before transporting rods
- The sinkers are designed for countless operations and long life and the plastic cover protects the user, wildlife and the environment from the effects of lead
- Easy for kids to use and saves time for parents when rigging rods for kids
- Great for night fishing and people with poor vision when knots and threading line through sinkers is undesirable