Snake bites Coast teen
A YEPPOON teenager was raced to Rockhampton Hospital in a bad way after being bitten by a snake on Saturday afternoon.
An ambulance spokesman said the 17-year-old was bitten on the foot and was in a “very” sick state after being attacked by either a taipan or brown snake at Bondoola.
A Rockhampton Hospital spokeswoman yesterday said the teen was in a stable condition.
“He was very unwell,” the ambulance spokesman said.
Details weren't available yesterday about what the teen was doing when he was bitten.
The taipan is potentially the world's most dangerous land snake.
The eastern brown snake has the second most toxic venom.
Authorities are warning people to keep on the lookout for snakes, especially with the current fire conditions forcing many to move to safety.
Snakes were reported yesterday near burnt-out areas.
“With the amount of fires in the bushland at the moment, they will be trying to get out of the way like all the other animals,” the spokesman said.
He said people should use their common sense around snakes, such as wearing long clothing and boots if going into bushland and backing away when confronted.