Spectators given show at stadium
IF you were any sort of cowboy, you were there.
More than 5000 rodeo spectators piled into the Gracemere Austadium over the weekend for the 19th Annual CRCA Rodeo Finals.
But only the best of the best competed, with the top 12 finalists in each division going head-to-head to battle out the buckles.
Junior Ladies competitor Jema Slotosch swept through her division with grace and made it all seem too easy when she picked up the Junior Barrel Racing and the Open Ladies Barrel Racing.
Shane Iker of Alton Downs put on a show when he claimed the Rope and Tie, Steer Wrestling and Team Roping Heeler.
Iker proved his strength when he was also named the All Round Cowboy for 2009.
“It was a great weekend and I have added another three buckles to my collection,” said Iker.
The 2009 Cowgirl was Leanne Caban from Emerald, who claimed the title again after winning it in 2005.
“I was pretty confident going into the finals as I knew my little mare, Hawk, who is bred on the Morn Deck bloodlines, could do it,” said Caban.
“It was a competitive weekend and the competition was pretty stiff.”
The Open Bull Ride was also won by Roy Dunn.
President of the CRCA finals Darryl Baulch said the level of competition was first class.
“We have some top competitors within the ranks of the CRCA and they didn’t disappoint the crowd,” he said.Winners
- Open Bull Rider: Roy Dunn, Alpha
- Open Saddle: Bronc Dale Bougoure, Rockhampton
- Open Bareback: Brett Cross, Alton Downs
- Rope and Tie: Shane Iker, Alton Downs
- Steer Wrestling: Shane Iker, Alton Downs
- Team Roping Header: Jarred Deguara, Nebo
- Team Roping Heeler: Shane Iker, Alton Downs
- Ladies Barrel Race: Jema Slotosch, Alton Downs
- Ladies Breakaway: Leanne Caban, Emerald
- Junior Bull Ride: Jessie Vannek, Westwood
- Junior Breakaway: Cameron Milner, Alton Downs
- Junior Barrel Race: Jema Slotosch, Alton Downs
- Junior Saddle: Bronc Justin Paton, Nebo
- Junior Bareback: Luke Charles, Dingo
- Allround Cowgirl: Leanne Caban
- Allround Cowboy: Shane Iker
- Allround Junior: Cameron Milner