Sporting clubs take no chances
AFTER losing it all in last year's floods, the Norbridge soccer clubs weren't going to take any risks this time around.
After the huge downpour on Wednesday in the city and other areas, the Fitzroy River is predicted to rise, with the SES attending up to 97 jobs across Central Queensland.
Rockhampton Regional Council yesterday began warning sporting organisations that may be subject to rising waters to move what they could in case the worst was to happen.
Groundsman of the Norbridge Junior Soccer Club fields, Bryan Graff, said although the kids' junior fixtures were cancelled, there may be more unfortunate events to come.
"Last year's floods saw us lose five fridges, three deep freezers, mowers and tools, and the grounds had to be totally repaired, so this time we're making sure that doesn't happen again," Bryan said.
"It's predicted to reach 7.5m which would see the fields go under and it would come up about four inches in the canteen.
"It's just disheartening to see when you've repaired everything and had to start again."
Football Rockhampton secretary Gwen Fox said the removal of everything from the canteen was a safeguard in case the waters were to engulf the fields once again.
"Last year's floods really knocked us out so this time we just can't take the chance," Gwen said.