Star line-up of celebrities to hit Rocky's CapriCon
A WOLF Creek star and a Play School presenter have made for an interesting combination in the line-up of celebrities to appear at the Rockhampton Regional Library next month.
Vikings, villains, superheroes and stars are all set to collide when the library hosts the highly anticipated 2018 CapriCon event.
It is expected to attract thousands of local cosplay, gaming, steampunk and anime enthusiasts.
And that's not all who will be attending.
Officially announcing a line-up of celebrity guests today, Chair of Council's Communities Committee Cr Rose Swadling said this year's event, and its star panel, is not to be missed.
"We are thrilled to be ramping up the final preparations for 2018 CapriCon Rockhampton, and announce the incredibly talented Australian celebrities who will be heading to our region as the event's special guests,” Cr Swadling said.
"We will be joined by well-known Aussie actor John Jarratt, who many will recognise from films such as Australia, Rogue and Wolf Creek, to name but a few.
"Also joining us will be celebrated actor Jay Laga'aia, who has starred in dozens of films including Star Wars, Nim's Island, and Xena Warrior Princess.
"He of course would also be a familiar face to those who grew up with Play School, and we're excited to announce that Jay will be a part of the new KidsCON component of CapriCon which will include activities for kids under 12.
"We are delighted to also be welcoming actor Matt Doran, acclaimed author Traci Harding, and renowned Cosplayer I-Artemis-I.
"I can't state enough just how fantastic this event is shaping up to be so come along, enjoy the day, and don't miss the opportunity to chat with our special guests.”
Come in costume play (cosplay) as your favourite hero or villain, Viking or medieval knight, let your creativity loose and enjoy the relaxed family friendly atmosphere.
2018 marks the third year for the outstanding free community event.
CapriCon Rockhampton is hosted by Rockhampton Regional Council and sponsored by First 5 Forever, Bolinda Audio and Millennium Comics.
This project has received financial assistance from the Queensland Government through State Library of Queensland.
The event will be held on April 7, from 9am until 4pm and will also include a Cosplay Competition, Authors' Alley, live music, markets and food stalls.
For more information on this year's event, find CapriCon Rockhampton on Facebook.
2018 CAPRICON CELEBRITY GUESTS:
- John Jarratt: His career has spanned all aspects of theatre, film and television, making him one of Australia's most well-known personalities. John re-established himself as one of Australia's finest actors with his chilling performance as "Mick Taylor” in the feature film Wolf Creek and the sequel Wolf Creek 2. Other film credits include Australia, Needles, Bad Behaviour, Shiver amd Django Unchained.
- Jay Laga'aia: A much-loved actor and children's entertainer who's film credits include Nim's Island and Star Wars, and television credits on Home and Away, Xena Warrior Princess and of course, Play School. He has played Mufasa in The Lion King, The Wizard in Wicked The Musical, and performed in Children of the Sun with Sydney Theatre Company. A gifted musician Jay has written and recorded four children's albums with ABC for Kids and toured his live show throughout Australia along with performing in Symphony Orchestras.
- Matt Doran: An experienced film and television actor who had his first lead role in the film Pirates' Island at age 14. Matt became a core cast member on Australia's most successful television show Home and Away. He has also worked closely with some of the most distinguished directors in highly acclaimed US productions: Terrence Mallick's academy award nominated film The Thin Red Line; the Wachowski's The Matrix and George Lucas' Star Wars II Attack of the Clones. Matt's appearance is proudly sponsored by local business Millennium Comics.
- Traci Harding: Traci is a Science/Fantasy novelist who's work blends fantasy, fact, esoteric theory, time travel and quantum physics, into adventurous romps through history, alternative dimensions, universes and states of consciousness. Best known for the bestselling 'Ancient Future Trilogy' and subsequent Intertwining trilogies, Traci's books have been published in many languages and countries around the world.
- I-Artemis-I: Natalie Bottle is a famous cosplayer who has won many awards from Best Cosplay winner at Gold Coast Supernova in 2014, team Australia representative 2015 at the world cosplay summit and Australian champion at the 2016 Madman national cosplay championship. Nat will be answering questions in her panel, joining the judges for the cosplay competition and of course, posing for photos with fans.