This trampoline ended up in a paddock in the middle of Tanby after wild winds hit Emu Park yesterday morning.
This trampoline ended up in a paddock in the middle of Tanby after wild winds hit Emu Park yesterday morning. Sophie Jackson SJ

Wild winds as storms strike

A WILD storm which unleashed winds up to 100kmh on the Capricorn Coast yesterday flung boats, trampolines and water tanks into the air like rag dolls.

The fury shortly before midday was just the start of things to come, as just after 4pm a severe storm struck Mt Morgan, blanketing yards with hail the size of 10c pieces.

At 5.45pm yesterday, the Bureau of Meteorology advised that a new powerful storm was brewing east of Dingo, but was set to bypass Rockhampton.

Initial reports had suggested Rocky would be hit with a powerful storm, but the bureau later said the storm clusters wouldn’t have any dramatic effect on the city.

At Yeppoon’s Keppel Bay Marina, Lyle McCulloch was aboard his catamaran when he saw a four-metre rubber duckie with outboard motor “fly past” his window.

“It was like a mini cyclone went through,” Lyle said.

“It took three of us to lift it (rubber duckie) back into the water.”

Along Tanby Road, trampolines had been tossed from backyards, landing in a mangled mess on the side of the road and a water tank was also lifted into the air and smashed to pieces.

Kylie Wilson, general manager of Keppel Bay Marina, said there was canvas damage to some of the boats moored in the marina.

Debris was also strewn around the marina.

“We knew a storm was coming but it was a little bit more than we expected,” Kylie said.

A spokesman from the Bureau of Meteorology Severe Weather Department said official wind speeds of 44kmh were recorded in Yeppoon.

He said there was an unconfirmed report of winds up to 100kmh from a caller at Emu Park.

The storm left 963 homes in Emu Park, Zilzie and Tanby without power about 12.15pm after a transformer fuse was damaged in Delandelles Road. Ergon Energy’s corporate communications manager Bob Pleash said power was restored within 30 minutes.

Mr Pleash said the storm knocked over high voltage powerlines in Central Street, Mt Morgan, leaving 778 customers without power at 4.16pm.

Ergon Energy crews were able to restore power to half of the homes by 7.34pm, with power restored to the remaining homes later last night.

A Mt Morgan resident living close to the town’s hospital said hail covered their back-yard after the 4pm storm. She said they received strong winds, followed by about 30mm of rain in 10 minutes and then hail.

“It looked like a white sheet covering the yard,” she said.

“We didn’t receive any damage, but there might have been damage in other places around town.”

The Mt Morgan storm dropped 26mm in 20 minutes – earlier it had dumped 46mm on Biloela. At Shoalwater Bay 37mm fell, Tungamull received 53mm and Samuel Hill, north of Yeppoon, recorded 36mm.

Keep up-to-date with the latest weather information for Rockhampton.

Where the rain fell

Rainfall across the region yesterday from 9am to 7pm:

Mount Morgan – 26mm (in 20 minutes)

Tungamull – 53mm

Samuel Hill (north of Yeppoon) – 36.6mm

Biloela – 46.6mm

Shoalwater Bay - 37mm (in 30 minutes)

Gladstone – 0.2mm

Rockhampton – 0.6mm

FIRE: Highway reopened with most hazards cleared

FIRE: Highway reopened with most hazards cleared

Fire poses no threat to property at the moment

Power tool incident 'partially amputates' body parts

premium_icon Power tool incident 'partially amputates' body parts

Paramedics rushed to the scene this morning where a man was injured

Man injured after motorbike collides into cow

premium_icon Man injured after motorbike collides into cow

RSPCA have been called after the incident on Byfield Rd this morning

Local Partners