THE charred remains of a Mt Coolum home are a reminder of just how easily a fire can start.

A family lost all their possessions after fire ripped through their two-storey home in Toolga St yesterday afternoon.

A curtain catching fire from a candle burning in a bedroom was pinpointed as the cause.

Neighbours say three children, including a teenager, were home when the fire started about 1pm.

They had seconds to escape. The fire took hold quickly and destroyed the home within minutes.

Black smoke could be seen billowing from the house from the length of the Coast.

The owner, who arrived shortly after the fire had been extinguished, was devastated by the blackened mess.

She was comforted by police and paramedics.

The family was also devastated to find their pet dog did not survive.

GONE IN MINUTES: Firefighters hose down the charred home in Toolga St, Mt Coolum. A candle is believed to have set fire to a curtain in a bedroom.
GONE IN MINUTES: Firefighters hose down the charred home in Toolga St, Mt Coolum. A candle is believed to have set fire to a curtain in a bedroom. Megan Mackander

Maroochydore fire inspector Jeff Keating said the timber structure stood little chance against the intense flames.

"It was a predominately timber construction, with timber floors and timber walls, so it burnt fairly well," Mr Keating said.

"The information we have suggests there was a young person in the bedroom doing some study.

"Just another example of why candles are very dangerous inside the home around this time of year.

"We have to be conscious of fire and make sure fire alarms are working."

Toolga St was closed while four fire crews tackled the blaze.

Fitted with breathing apparatus, the crews from Noosa, Coolum, Maroochydore and Nambour did all they could to save the house.

Fire investigators are probing the incident.

It was the third major house fire on the Coast in the past week.

Four firefighter crews work to extinguish a blaze at Toolga St, Mount Coolum. The fire was believed to have started a candle catching alight a curtain in a bedroom. Photo Megan Mackander / Sunshine Coast Daily
Four firefighter crews work to extinguish a blaze at Toolga St, Mount Coolum. The fire was believed to have started a candle catching alight a curtain in a bedroom. Photo Megan Mackander / Sunshine Coast Daily Megan Mackander

Fire rips through Sunshine Coast family home 

A Mount Coolum home has been destroyed by fire this afternoon.

Fire fighters say a candle caused the blaze in the two-storey timber Toolga St home.

No one was injured but there was little fire fighters could do to save the home.

The top floor went up in smoke within minutes.

The timber foundations and wooden floor boards meant fire fighters had a battle on their hands.

Four crews attended the fire.



Father ‘eats’ speed as pain relief for workplace accident

Premium Content Father ‘eats’ speed as pain relief for workplace accident

The 43 year old had shattered his left ankle in seven places.

Exciting addition to weekend’s Rocky Triathlon

Premium Content Exciting addition to weekend’s Rocky Triathlon

Hundreds expected for second edition of event, which was rescheduled due to...

New ‘out of this world’ experience takes Rocky by storm

Premium Content New ‘out of this world’ experience takes Rocky by storm

The immersive experience is already starting to book out for work Christmas...