Menu
The fire was sparked after she passed wind during the procedure and the laser ignited the gas.
The fire was sparked after she passed wind during the procedure and the laser ignited the gas.

Surgery fart leads to serious burns

A PATIENT at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward has been left seriously burnt after a fire started while she was on the operating table.

The patient in her 30s was undergoing an operation that involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus, according to the Asahi Shimbun.

The fire was sparked after she passed wind during the procedure and the laser ignited the gas.

A report released by the hospital revealed a committee of outside experts looked into the case and said no flammable materials were in the operation room at the time of the surgery.

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," the report said.

The blaze burned much of the patient's body, including her waist and legs.



Letters: What is the future for the Aust War Memorial?

Premium Content Letters: What is the future for the Aust War Memorial?

Letters to the editor and Harry Bruce’s cartoon.

Coastal suburb records two $800,000+ sales to local buyers

Premium Content Coastal suburb records two $800,000+ sales to local buyers

The beachfront homes were two doors down from each other on the same street, with...

Transfer of GKI leases to Altum ‘will not occur’

Premium Content Transfer of GKI leases to Altum ‘will not occur’

Resources Minister Scott Stewart said that the Sunshine Coast property developer...