COMMERCIAL tanning operators will be offered a financial incentive to hand over their UV sun beds sooner than the 14-month deadline.
Health Minister Lawrence Springborg told Queensland Parliament the earlier businesses surrendered their registered commercial skin tanning units, the more compensation they would be entitled to.
"UV tanning beds will be completely banned in Queensland from December 31, 2014, but ultimately we would like to see the machines disappear as soon as possible," Mr Springborg said.
"To facilitate this, we will provide an incentive package for affected operators based on when they surrender their solaria.
"Queensland is known as the skin cancer capital of the world and I make no apologies for doing all we can to reduce the risk of this terrible disease.
"The use of skin tanning units is associated with a significant increase in the risk of melanoma which increases if a person first uses a unit before the age of 35."
As the Radiation Safety Act 1999 forbade the sale or possession of previously-licensed tanning beds, licence holders need to contact Queensland Health to arrange for the disposal of their machines.
All of the machines the department collects will be destroyed and disposed of.
Businesses will receive the following:
- $5000 for each registered skin tanning unit surrendered before April 1 next year.
- $2500 for those surrendered between April 1 and June 30 next year.
- $1000 for those surrendered between July 1 and the deadline, December 31 December, 2014.