Tassie recruit becomes Swans' super boot
AUSSIE RULES: Family connections brought him here, now his knack for scoring goals could keep him here.
Yeppoon Swans full-forward Eli Wells has become the premiers go-to man, with 27 goals coming off his boot in the last two games.
Introduced to the oval-ball game by his uncle - Swans' midfielder Nathan Milburn - Wells jumped at the chance to play alongside him.
He moved north from Launceston in November and bunkered down in Yeppoon, where he is loving life.
"He taught me how to play and I knew he was close to hanging up the boots so I made the call to come up," the 22-year-old said.
"I got here just before the pre-season and it is really special to get to play with him."
Wells' confidence must be through the roof, he can make a lead run knowing Swans champion midfield will spot him.
His ruthlessness in the forward pocket and dominance in the contest have seen the former ruckman also picked for the Capricornia rep squad.
AFL Capricornia Squad
- Brothers - Brent Wood, Jacob Hawksworth, Daniel Trinca, Jarrad Donovan, Luke Rumpf, Patrick O'Shaughnessy
- Glenmore - Tim Higgins, Nick Payne, Tim Borg, Ellery Bowman
- Panthers - Jaxson Pringle, Kale Oxenham, Levi Davenport, Travis Young, Haidyn Thomas, Travis Applewaite
- BITS - Jake Mostert, Jack Rubery, Brendan Clarke, Tyson McMahon, Tyson Kavanagh, Jamie Cunningham, Ben Dempsey, Dion Simmons, Kane Haua, Jackson Mangion, Jacob Mills, Dan Clay
- Yeppoon - Matt Wallin, Dam Meloney, Alex Chapman, Leigh Cossens, Jamie Garner, Isaac Kiely, Grant van Rooyen, Eli Wells, Jamie Gallagher, Brad Richards, Jake King
- Gladstone - Steve Eilola, Sam Schofield, Zac Jahn, Steve Grogan, Josh Brown
"The boys lay it straight to me, some of their kicks are just on a platter, pin perfect," he praised.
"Most of my goals have been from right in front or a bit of an angle. I can take a contested mark though, but most times they find my run.
"I have worked a lot on my kicking and its paying off I guess. I am really starting to find a nice rhythm and just try to hit a target behind the goal.
"Footy is going great and I really like living here."
Wells sits joint top with centre half Alex Chapman on 29 goals for the season. The dead-eye shots have the Swans flying, well on track for a third straight flag.
In recent weeks, both Gladstone Mudcrabs and Rockhampton Kangaroos have born the brunt of the pair of superboots.
Yeppoon have 11 players selected for the rep game against Mackay. Former AFL star Craig O'Brien will coach the side who play in Rockhampton on July 1.