This time the blaze is next door
CATHY Boys had just been washing her husband Stephen's rural firefighting clothing when she got the call - there was a fire, next door, on Old Byfield Road.
After spending nine days fighting fires near Rockhampton recently, it was the last thing they wanted to hear, but Stephen was quick to yet again volunteer his time and join the eight fire crews who attended the Lake Mary scene.
It is believed a slasher working in the area was the cause of the fire, hitting a rock and causing sparks.
Yeppoon fire crews, responding to an earlier fire on Barmaryee Road, in Yeppoon around 11am, noticed smoke billowing in the distance.
Fire quickly spread through the dry grass on three properties, jumping Old Byfield Road and heading up the hill alongside Lake Mary Road, towards a home and shed.
Rural fire crews worked hard to protect the properties, putting out spot fires and using a council grader to dig containment lines to prevent further spread.
Cathy said the volunteers did the best they could with the little resources they had.
“The rural firies are all volunteers; they are volunteering their time, their work, their money,” Cathy said.
Neighbours with machinery all joined the efforts to fight the fire.
Just as it was flaring up, looking like it might take a home, an aerial crew dumped water to douse the main part of the fire.
While the fire started moving in a different direction, the house was spared.
Late yesterday afternoon Cathy said the crews were still working on the scene, putting out spot fires and backburning to prevent further spread.
During the fire, traffic was diverted from Old Byfield Road due to low visibility from the smoke.
The earlier Barmaryee Road fire is still being investigated.