Family stunned by chroming death of boy, 13
A 13-YEAR-old Townsville boy who died in tragic circumstances is being remembered as a friendly and active child.
Brian Flynn Massey was found unconscious and not breathing in Magpies Park in Garbutt on November 11. It's believed he had been inhaling aerosols - a practice known as chroming.
His shocked family are preparing to farewell the much loved boy at a public funeral service at 10am on Friday at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ross River Rd.
Brian, known to his friends as "B-Boy", always had a smile on his face and would cheer others up when they felt down, his stepsister Nakeisha Newman said.
"He liked to play AFL and all kinds of sports," she said.
"Everywhere he went, even if he didn't know people, he'd make friends with them.
"He was a friendly type of person."
Ms Newman said Brian had a cheeky sense of humour, depending on what mood he was in.
"He used to muck around and make us laugh all the time," Ms Newman said.
"And he loved helping mum and dad with the babies.
"He was caring and he'd always take them to the couch.
"Everyone is missing him and the family is shocked and sad because he was so young and he left so suddenly."
Brian's father Maverick Massey said the Shalom Christian College student was a bright boy.
"He was a great kid and much loved by our family," he said."
A memorial for Brian took place in Magpies Park on Saturday to mark what would have been his 14th birthday.