PROGRESS MADE: Business owner Tracy Wode is happy that stakeholders’ issues were heard by council and adjustments were made to plans for the Quay St redevelopment.
PROGRESS MADE: Business owner Tracy Wode is happy that stakeholders’ issues were heard by council and adjustments were made to plans for the Quay St redevelopment. Allan Reinikka Rokabusiness

Tracey no longer critical of council's riverbank plans

ROCKHAMPTON business owner Tracy Wode is now on the redevelopment bandwagon after what she says is a vast improvement by Rockhampton Regional Council.

Tracy was previously one of more than 20 stakeholders on Quay St who were critical of the street redevelopment due to what they said would be "immeasurable" damage to their various businesses.

The construction was part of a multi-million-dollar redevelopment plan for Rockhampton's riverbank which had received a $15 million State Government contribution.

Group spokesman Cyril Thomasson recanted his criticism of council on the subject on Thursday, and Tracy is following suit.

"The council are more open to consultation and information. They are actually willing to talk about the project now," she said.

"(The change) was mainly after the meeting so more information has been given to us and that is all we have ever wanted; to not be railroaded into something we weren't aware of."

The council had multiple meetings with stakeholders, one as recently as Monday, after their frustration was first expressed earlier this month in regards to the design's tree placements, car park allocations and closures.

Work on Quay St was delayed for almost two weeks as a result of the disagreements.

It was in these meetings, Tracy said, that council "opened the lines" of communication and adjusted the original plans to lighten the load from surrounding businesses.

"They took on board our concerns," Tracy said.

"The closing of the road, the footpaths... we were originally told it would be closed for 12 months and they moved that down to three. "We are all looking forward to (the redevelopment), but we just want it done properly and have it right the first time so we don't waste time going back and fixing anything."

Construction on Quay St began on Monday.

Must know info

Stage 1A is expected to be completed by August 2016

Quay St (between the Fitzroy Bridge and Denham St) will be partially closed to allow traffic to run south to north (one way)

Quay Lane will stay as existing, with traffic flow from north to south until early next year



Anzac gunfire captured in stunning photograph

Anzac gunfire captured in stunning photograph

'The most amazing Anzac image that has ever been taken in Australia'

CQ community hero lives on in park naming

premium_icon CQ community hero lives on in park naming

'It didn't matter what time...if they got a call... he was there'

'Mayhem on the water' as boaties dodge craft in tight area

premium_icon 'Mayhem on the water' as boaties dodge craft in tight area

Extra car parks no solution to Yeppoon ramp congestion

Local Partners