RAIL Trails Australia president Damian McCrohan says he believes a trail between Rockhampton and Yeppoon would be a big tourism drawcard.
"There are not many trails proposed or possible for Queensland so it would be very popular, not just with cyclists in the state, but with those from the southern states who want to follow the sun in winter," he said.
He said the council's projected costs for constructing and maintaining the trail seemed too high.
"The Goulburn River Rail Trail has just been completed in Victoria.
"It is 135 km, has 50 bridges and various toilets and car parks.
"The total cost was $14 million and most of the costs were met by the Federal Government, some by the State Government and just a few hundred thousand dollars from the local council," he said.
"Rockhampton Regional Council would very likely receive similar government backing."
- Indicative cost estimates - full trail (Yeppoon to Nerimbera)
- Initial construction: $8.5m-$12.2m
- Maintenance: $200,000-$250,000 a year
- Renewal/refurbishment: $2.6m-$7m over 25 years.
- Stages 1-3 (Yeppoon to Cawarral)
- Construction: $3.9m-$5.3m
- Maintenance: $90,000-$115,000 a year
- Renewal/refurbishment: $1.5m-$1.7m in 25 years.
- Lifecycle (construction, maintenance and renewal) cost: $14m-$19m over 25 years
- Full corridor: $7.6m-$9.6m over a 25 years
- Stage 1 - Yeppoon to Hidden Valley (Braithwaite St - Yeppoon Rd) 4.5km, 4 bridges
- Stage 2 - Hidden Valley to Bondoola (Yeppoon Rd to Mackays Rd) 6.5km, 2 bridges
- Stage 3 - Bondoola to Cawarral (Mackays Rd - Anne Dr) 7.5km, 2 bridges
- Stage 4 - Cawarral to Mt Chalmers (Anne Dr - Sleipner Rd) 7.25km, 5 bridges
- Stage 5 - Mt Chalmers to Nankin (Sleipner Rd - Sleipner Siding Rd) 6.25km, 4 bridges
- Stage 6 - Nankin (Sleipner Siding rd - Thompson Pt Rd) 5.5km, 7 bridges
- Stage 7 - Nankin to Nerimbera (Thompson Pt Rd - Nerimbera School Rd) 6km, 7 bridges
- Stage 8 - Connection with Rocky (extension of existing Rocky path network to link with trail)