Visitor treated for a drug ‘fit'
A ROCKHAMPTON ambulance officer has warned of the dangers of recreational drugs after a 21-year-old man was taken to hospital yesterday from a suspected overdose.
Paramedics were called to the man's hotel at 3.48am after he began fitting.
The ambulance officer said they believed ecstasy was involved and the man suffered a reaction to the drug.
The young man was transported to hospital, but has since been released.
The ambulance officer, who asked to remain anonymous, said people needed to be aware ecstasy was a dangerous drug and users had no way of knowing which ingredients were in it.
He referred to the recent deaths of three people in Brisbane, which have been linked to a "bad batch" of ecstasy pills by southern media, as an example.
"It's only a matter of time before someone brings it up here," the ambulance officer said.
A Queensland Police media spokesman said police were investigating one recently reported overdose.
The owner of the hotel said the young man had come to Rockhampton with his brother and friends to see a DJ.
She said the group had been partying in the Rockhampton CBD and they believed the man's drink had been spiked.
The owner said the group yesterday returned to their hometown of Gladstone.
A Rockhampton police officer said he was not aware of either incident.