Hot weather comes to town

WHILE we haven't yet reached heatwave conditions, warmer than average temperatures appear to be a precursor for the rest of the month.

Rockhampton Bureau of Meteorology weather observer Brendan Bradford said that today and tomorrow the maximum forecast would be 35 degrees, five degrees above average.

Warm and gusty north to north-westerly winds will push through tomorrow ahead of a trough system.

This, coupled with low humidity during the middle of the day, will contribute to a very high fire danger warning.

"Usually during October maximum temperatures are around the 30-degree mark, although in recent memory we've had pretty warm Octobers during 2009 and 2011… when we saw bushfire activity," Brendan said.

"However, we do have the possibility of a shower or storm developing in the southern part of Capricornia on Thursday (today) and Friday.

"That will hopefully come through and start to decrease temperatures as it pushes through inland."

Today he said there was a 20% to 30% chance of rain, which increased to about 70% on Saturday.

This is expected to lead to 15mm to 25mm of rain over 24 hours in Capricornia."There will be a shower or two for all major centres on Saturday, temperatures will drop four or five degrees and there will be a lot more cloud cover," Brendan said.

"It'll be back to about 30 degrees in Rocky, 27 in Gladstone and 26 in Yeppoon."



Cap Coast eyes Wesley Hall Cup in Premier League grand final

premium_icon Cap Coast eyes Wesley Hall Cup in Premier League grand final

CAP COAST and Clinton FC face off in CQ Premier League final

HOME GROWN: Lychee farm in our own backyard

premium_icon HOME GROWN: Lychee farm in our own backyard

Rocky's only lychee farm with 5,000 trees and 7 different varieties

Mount Morgan Dam takes centre stage for new sporting event

premium_icon Mount Morgan Dam takes centre stage for new sporting event

Thousands expected to be pumped into the local economy.

Local Partners