Chance visit saves Yeppoon man from dying from a wasp sting
HIS face went pale. His breathing shortened. His pulse stopped and finally, his heart ceased beating.
This sequence of events was Yeppoon CQ Gas and Solar owner David McAuley's terrifying ordeal after he was stung by a wasp.
The wasp sting could have resulted in David's life ending prematurely.
But the quick actions and coincidental visit of Paul Jowsey helped save David's life.
Paul owns a business in Yeppoon's Industrial Ave, two buildings over from David's solar and gas company.
On Wednesday afternoon, David was helping a man exchange his old gas bottle for a new one.
David told the Bulletin when he reached into his holding cage to fetch a new gas bottle; a wasp inside the cage stung him.
It was moments after the sting that David started feeling drowsy and confused.
He seated himself on some steps at the back of his shop.
Then, his breathing became short and faint.
By chance, Paul Jowsey had popped over to David's business to exchange his old gas bottle for a new one.
When Paul couldn't find David at the front of the factory, he made his way around the back.
There he found David lying on the ground unconscious.
Paul rushed back to his shop to raise the alarm with his wife, and to get help.
A man named Ross (from Origin Energy) contacted emergency services.
Jenny Barnes, Paul's wife Mel Jowsey and two staff members from the Learn to Swim Centre (near CQ Solar and Gas) rushed to David's side and moved him so CPR could be administered.
David had been lying near the steps, in a semi-conscious state, for about 10 minutes before Paul arrived.
"If I had been there another three minutes, I could have been dead," David said.
With the help of Yeppoon paramedics, ambulance officers and fire personnel, David was brought back to life.
He was taken to Rockhampton Hospital, where he spent a few hours in recovery.
Doctors told him the wasp sting was so potent, it caused his blood pressure to drop dramatically. As a result of that drop, his heart stopped beating.
David learned that he had gone into a state known as anaphylactic shock, not to be confused with a cardiac arrest. He was back at work yesterday tending to business, as usual.
He wanted to thank everyone who rushed to his aid.
"Thank you all from the bottom of my heart... I may not be here today if it wasn't for your help," he said.