Water bomber on a different plane

Richard McDonald demonstrates his water bombing aircraft at Rockhampton airport.
Richard McDonald demonstrates his water bombing aircraft at Rockhampton airport. Chris Ison

AFTER helping water bomb the massive bushfires which consumed much of Mt Archer in 2009, pilot Richard McDonald decided he needed a plane that could carry more water.

More than two years later, Richard was yesterday able to show exactly what his new custom-built aircraft could do.

Wife Susie said the plane was capable of carrying 3300L of water, allowing her husband the choice of dumping all the water on a large fire or dumping a small amount and putting out several spot fires without needing to land for more water.

"The plane we had did a lot of work and kept a lot of the fire away from homes, and this one is double the capacity," Susie said.

"Water bombing really does sort of squash down the fire and help put it out."

While the wet season has put a dampener on Queensland Fire and Rescue Service's need for Richard's plane, he has been able to use it for agricultural purposes instead.

With 29 years of flying under his belt and 17,000 hours in the cockpit, Susie said her husband had flown charter planes and jets.

But if the need does arise, Richard will be ready to help the firefighters extinguish any blazes.

"It's fully set up and ready to go," Susie said.

She said water bombing was quite a precise business.

"It's actually quite a lot of timing."

Topics:  fires plane water bombing

CQ man suffers possible spinal injuries at dirt bike comp

STABLE BUT SERIOUS: Mr Scott is flown to Rockhampton Hospital by the RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service.

RACQ Rescue took the 47-year-old to Rockhampton Hospital yesterday.

Rocky CBD property catches interstate investors' eyes

PRIME POSITION: The CBD building on Denham St is up for sale.

JUST 10 days on market and the building has gained metro interest

Coast guard rescues boy after catch of the day goes wrong

Coast Guard generic.

FAMILY kept fishing for 90 minutes as they waited to be rescued

Local Partners