We won't let the fire ruin our lives
EVEN though Sandra and William Thompson have lost everything, yesterday you couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces.
As they looked at the charred remains of what was once their beautiful home, the mother and son were just happy to still have their family together.
Tomorrow Mrs Thompson and William, known as Bilby to his friends, will move into a new rental home in North Rockhampton.
“Having a roof over our heads is most important - it doesn't matter what is inside,” she said yesterday.
However, Mrs Thompson and William have a nice collection to get them started from kind community members, such as a bed, couch, fridge, linen and some clothing.
The two-storey Macaree Street home was destroyed by fire on Wednesday morning.
Police said the fire was caused by an electrical fault under the house.
“It's scary because an electrical fault could happen to any house,” Mrs Thompson said yesterday.
Mrs Thompson said it was unbelievable and much appreciated to have complete strangers offering to help them.
“I was at the house yesterday and this lady pulled up and said she was having a garage sale so she would keep some things aside for me - I've never met her before,” she said.
Because their new rental home doesn't have a fence, Bunnings Warehouse has offered to build her one.
Outside the house yesterday William told of the dramatic events. He said after running out of the house it was like watching a “tornado of fire” swirling underneath the home before engulfing the entire structure.
From the rubble, a few things have been saved including a photo of Mrs Thompson at 13, with her late mother.
William found his mobile phone. It was ruined, but the SIM card still works.