Where you can legally let the dogs out
DOG lovers rejoice, a second designated off-leash area is proposed for Eddie Barker Park, Norman Gardens.
Rockhampton Regional Council will consider a proposal to extend the existing dog park with additional fencing to separate small and large dogs.
Council will decide in Tuesday's full meeting whether to approve the application, which would require a 21-day public consultation period.
During yesterday's Planning and Regulatory Committee meeting, it was acknowledged a number of off-leash dog parks exist though they are not "legal".
Councillor Elen Smith asked for clarification as to why, and it was explained to formally designate an area as an "off-leash dog park" would limit or restrict future development of the site.
The example of Gergeson Oval, The Range was given; that though it was an accepted off-leash dog park, it would likely become a sports ground in the future.
The current designated dog off-leash areas are:
- Ted Price Park, Gracemere (access via Breakspear Street and Holgate Close but
- limited to the area designated as a dog off-leash area by signpost;
- Duthie Park, North Rockhampton (access via Thozet Road, Marsh Avenue, Lawrence
- Avenue and Wiggington Street) but limited to the area and times designated by signpost and, in any event, not while the area is being used by animals participating in an obedience trail supervised by a body recognised for section 12(3)(d) of the authorising local law by the local government;
- Rosel Park, South Rockhampton, opposite the Quay Street pound (access via Quay
- Street); and
- Victoria Park (Recreation Area), access via Lion Creek Road, Rockhampton, but limited
- to the area designated as a dog off-leash area by signpost.
Additional off-leash areas that are not designated but are currently known as being as off-leash
- Georgeson Oval, The Range (access via Meter Street, Normanby Terrace, Gardner
- Street, Hawkins Street and Pennycuick Street);
- Eddie Baker Park, Norman Gardens (access via Currawong Street and Rosella Court)
- but limited to the areas designated as a dog off leash area by signpost;
- Kershaw Gardens, Park Avenue but limited to the area designated as a dog off-leash
- area by signpost, including agility park; and
- No. 7 Dam, Mount Morgan (access via Byrnes Parade).