Woman guilty of stabbing, biting, bashing ex-partner

STABBED with a nail file, bitten on the face, chased and beaten with a baseball bat and hit in the head with a hammer - it was a tough time for Bradley Jones.

Julie-Anne Hughes carried out each attack on her then-boyfriend over seven months last year, and on Monday was sentenced on one count of assault occasioning bodily harm and three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm while armed.

Hughes, 50, was due to stand trial in Gladstone District Court for the four indictments, but the Crown and defence counsel came to an agreement that saw Hughes plead guilty to all charges.

Crown Prosecutor Matthew Hynes laid out the facts of the assaults by Hughes against Bradley Jones.

On February 1, last year, Mr Jones was chased after a verbal argument by Hughes when she hit him in the back with a baseball bat, before stabbing him in the ribs with an unknown weapon that left him with a 1-2cm laceration.

Nearly two months later, on March 29, last year, the couple was again involved in an alcohol-fuelled argument in a car during a drive from Yeppoon to Biloela.

Hughes turned around and bit Mr Jones on the nose, but the victim again did not contact police, for fear of seeing his attacker separated from her children.

The final two offences took place on September 27, last year at Biloela.

After a "drinking spree" as described by defence barrister Tom Polley, Hughes left a party to allegedly buy drugs for the couple.

Mr Jones entered the house to find Hughes. She struck him in the face with an object and when he looked up, saw Hughes clutching a hammer.

After medical treatment, Mr Jones returned to the party at his neighbour's house, however Hughes arrived later and another argument began.

Mr Jones threw a lighter at Hughes, hitting her in the shoulder, before she stabbed him in the hip with a nail file.

It proved to be the last straw for her ex-partner, who reported Hughes' repeated violence to police.

Prosecutor Hynes acknowledged the victim had been "no saint in all of this" during his submissions to Judge Brendan Butler, who ordered an immediate parole release.


  • Hughes was sentenced to 15 months' imprisonment.
  • Granted immediate parole release, having served 56 days in pre-sentence custody.
  • Will be on parole for the next 15 months and subjected to drug and alcohol testing as required.

Topics:  assault domestic violence gladstone crime gladstone district court

Dash cam footage captures motorway chaos

DASH cam footage has emerged of a dramatic three car pileup on a South East Queensland on ramp heading to the Sunshine Coast.

Epic three car pile-up caught on camera

Community rallies behind sons of mum who drowned in Emu Park

Tracey Williams died saving her son from the water in Emu Park.

THOUSANDS already raised as family prepares for life without Tracey

Careers fair opens new options for Rocky students

rockhampton State High School students Gemma Roug, Molly Hartley and Tahlia Kiraly at the school's inaugural careers fair.

GALLERY: Students enjoy The Morning Bulletin's photo booth

Local Partners