News

Work for dole debate rages on after more changes announced

GARY Quigg may be unemployed, but he thinks Work for the Dole is slave labour.

"If they can find you volunteer work, why can't they find paid work?" he said.

The tradesman from Mount Morgan (pictured), yesterday spoke to The Morning Bulletin after the government announced draft changes to obligations for job seekers.

Ten job seekers for every vacancy: welfare reality

Under the proposed changes, which will operate from July 1, 2015, job seekers could be required to look for up to 40 jobs a month,depending on location.

Most job seekers under 50 could also be required to take part in Work for the Dole up to 25 hours a week for six months.

Gary said he moved to Rockhampton from the Sunshine Coast just over a year ago hoping to find permanent work.

Currently expected to apply for four to five jobs a fortnight to receive benefits, Gary said the new requirements were unrealistic. "If there were that many jobs to apply for, there'd be no one on the dole," he said.

He said application requirements should depend on how qualified a candidate was. "It's pretty hard to say to someone unqualified that they have to apply for 40 jobs," Gary said.

But Rockhampton Senator Matt Canavan disagreed, and said the worst thing people could do was stay on welfare.

"I get frustrated when I hear a major commentator on the ABC on the weekend say that it's too hard to make someone fill out a job application a day," he said.

"I just got back from a stock camp west of Normanton and... those blokes are pretty frustrated that they pay taxes so that other people in the cities can sit on their backsides and not go out and do a tough job like ringing. I fully support the government's move because the best thing we can do for people is to make sure they've got every encouragement to get a job and get off welfare."

Topics:  government job seekers work for the dole



Dear Deputy PM, show us the Rookwood money: QLD Government

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce in Rockhampton last year to talk about infrastructure spending and the proposed Rookwood Weir.

Letter to the federal government was given exclusively to the Bully.

Yeppoon teenager making waves in sporting ranks

TOUGH COMPETITOR: Jack Newton competes in the Queensland Canoe Marathon Championships.

Jack Newton medals in two gruelling events in two days

Truckies stranded as popular North Rocky truck stop closed

CLOSED: Yaamba Road Caltex Truckstop was fenced off and closed for renovations today leaving motorists seeking other options.

Motorists scramble for alternative fueling up options.

Local Partners