MORE than 500 days after it disappeared, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has confirmed that a chunk of aircraft wing that washed up on an island in the Indian Ocean came from lost Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
"Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370," he told reporters.
"We now have physical evidence that, as I announced on 24 March last year, flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
"The burden and uncertainty faced by the families during this time has been unspeakable.
"It is my hope that this confirmation, however tragic and painful, will at least bring certainty to the families and loved one of the 239 people onboard MH370.
"They have our deepest sympathy and prayers."
Mr Razak said the souls lost on the flight, including six Australians, would be mourned by Malaysia "as a nation".
The finding was confirmed jointly today by the French Authorities, Bureau d' Enquetes et d' Analyses pour la Securites de I'AviationCivile , the Malaysian Investigation Team, Technical Representative from PRC and Australian Transportation Safety Bureau (ATSB) in Toulouse, France before being discussed by Mr Razak.
The MH370 flight disappeared after leaving Kuala Lumpur International Airport bound for Beijing on March 8, 2014.